Saturday, June 5, 2010

Onesimo

I am so excited. We finally got to go to Onesimo with Simon! When we picked him up to go we also picked up a family of 5 (a dad, his three sons, and their lola). They are from the squatter's village we visited earlier (Agham). Onesimo is a shelter for street kids - kids who come from abusive homes, are abandoned, neglected, orphans, children of addicts, or even addicts themselves. They provide shelter, clothes, food, tutoring, and the opportunity to have an actual childhood . There are 5 centers in Manila- for children and youth - with over 60 kids. We went to the children's center. Onesimo helps young people whose lives in the slums, or streets, are filled with hopelessness. Onesimo, they are introduced to a meaningful and restored life through Jesus Christ. Nonoy (14), had to work hard as a little boy, scavenging on the waste dump. His family broke up and he started sniffing glue. He says: "Here at Onesimo, I am experiencing a real family for the first time in my life."

The dad in the family we took is an alcoholic and cannot take care of his sons (4). The kids mom died of TB and their lola is getting too old to look after them the way they need to be cared for. So we took the family to Onesimo to see if the dad will let his sons (the 2 oldest) live there. The boys were so quiet, they reaked and looked malnourished, but they were adorable. The situation broke my heart - I'm nto sure if the boys knew what was happening or not. At one point Aiah (Joel's daughter, also came along) fell asleep on me and was snoring, the boys heard her and laughed. I wish I had the chance to bond with them... but it was such an awkward situation. They needed to spend their time together as a family. When we got there the family went to be interviewed. Onesimo is selective, so they interviewed the family to see if their situation is "desperate enough"... it sounds harsh but it really is best to do that. They want to make sure they're using their resources to provide for the neediest of kids. I'm not sure if the family was accepted (though I'm sure they were) or if the dad even agreed. I can't imagine making that decision - to give up your kids. I hope he agreed, what a true act of love - letting them go there to live because he knows that its really in their best interest, the way they can be loved, protected, provided for, and have hopes for a future.
Here is their website: http://www.onesimo.ch/en/startseite/

There are currently 12 or 14 kids staying there. It was a really nice facility. It is supported by "servants" (the same program Simon works with). Each kid is sponsored - around $20 a month. The kids can only stay there for 3 years and then Onesimo works to find another place for them, whether that's sending them back home (they also provide counseling and assistance for the families to make this possible) or another shelter/home. When the kids get there they don't have social skills or manners - they are independent and misbehaved. But in the short time i was there i could tell that this program has really changed their lives. The kids were so behaved. I was greeted with "good afternoon po." The kids came up and asked me to play with them. My heart melted in their big brown eyes. We played basketball; whenever i was standing still one 10 yr old boy just ran his fingers through my hair. I tried to give them all special attention but some just clung to me more than others.

The white guy is Daniel - the director of the center we went to.


Joel made connections with the director for me to do 1 week of my internship there. We will be painting part of the children's center, tutoring (teaching them to read and write) and helping in the street ministry to do "drop-in's". A "drop-in" is where Onesimo goes into a community and takes soap, bubbles, food, clothes, and games. They build relationships with the family and scope out kids who would benefit from staying at onesimus. This is exactly the type of program that I have dreamed of doing. I'm not sure what the opportunities are in the states because of the government regulations... but i know there are plenty of kids who would benefit. I don't want to be just involved in foster care/adoptions, or programs like the Boys & Girls club, YMCA, or After School Programs (that's an issue for another post). I am so torn and so broken over the degradation of our society. I ask God why I was blessed to be born into the life I live, why wasn't I born to a homeless family, a family in a squatter's village, a family where i'd be abused or neglected. I know He has a plan for me and I'm going to be as involved as possible to rid the WORLD of these social injustices.

I am so so so excited about going back - especially because there are only a dozen+ kids... I'll have quality bonding time with each of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment