Friday, July 2, 2010

Still Learning Lessons at Home

Well, it's official, i've been home a week now. It feels like it has been forever. I miss being there - all of the experiences & opportunities I had and especially fellowshipping with my friends! I am happy to be home though, it is a good opportunity for me to reflect on what I've learned and live it out. If i don't find ways to apply what I realized and learned... then in the end I'd waste those opportunities. For me, my trip was not about short-term pleasure, it's about long-term gain for the Kingdom, for myself and those I interacted with. As I've gotten older I realize that because we were put on this earth to worship, praise and glorify Him, then anyday that I don't do that... that I don't get closer to Him... is a waste of a day and the opportunities He's given. There are opportunities everywhere!

Now my biggest struggle is finding ways to maintain my fervor and excitement. It is so easy for me to become complacent and apathetic at home. Life is here so different, the relational culture here is almost opposite. I feel close to people yet far away at the same time. I'm trying to work-through experiences that no one else here understands... I need help & support yet feel like I have to do it on my own. So, I'm taking today for myself to reflect... to escape from the distractions. My devotional time has been great lately and I started a new book that is so inspiring and helpful. My goal is to read 1 book per week so I can keep learning & pushing myself. I still haven't gotten into a regular routine yet - which I recognize needs to happen.

One of the most exciting things that has happened since I've been home is going out to eat & for coffee with Amber, who also just got back from doing her internship in Argentina. So, we spent 3-4 hours just talking about our experiences, what we've learned, and how we're struggling now. It was such a refreshing and encouraging time. She is really the first person that I've got to show all my pictures & tell lots of stories too, which is so much fun to do! I really feel blessed to have that opportunity, it was something that I emotionally needed! God just provides the best opportunities at perfect timing. I'm so glad that He loves me!

As a reminder to myself, I need to continue to process what I've learned. The biggest lessons for me were

simplicity & being content
(I'm so blessed!),
importance of relationships as a form of ministry,
taking advantage of every opportunity to pour myself into others
(and let them do the same to me!),
to not let the little things bother me
(keep my attitude in check),
to strengthen my faith &
fully rely on Him for everything (especially emotions),
to read the Word more consistently (in a year) &
memorize more of it, to seek His will for my life
(He has awesome plans for me),
and to always be willing to learn.
.
It's not that I've never learned these lessons before, well some of them I haven't, but for others this trip just served as a really good reminder. Like I was hit in the face with conviction of my inadequacy and ungrateful attitude. I'm committed to living out these lessons and making some huge life changes... I just hope that others notice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment