Friday, July 16, 2010

Ancient Words

As a counselor at JBC (Junior Bible Camp) its assumed that we have "everything together," especially spiritually. I totally agree with this but I recognize that there's always allowance for growth. The camp director reminded us at our first staff meeting that this camp is not only an opportunity for the kids to learn and grow, but also for us staff members. I have to admit that camp isn't always an easy or enjoyable time for me, but this year has been great. None of my girls were homesick and there weren't any major fights or sickness (though there were plenty of sunburns and bug bites). This year I was able to have 6 girls that I've had in previous years plus 3 that I already knew - which is awesome because we've already developed a relationship which can continue to be built upon.

Anyways, this year we sang some songs that really blessed me. I can't say that all the songs were lacking spiritual depth in previous years, but this year they touched me where I am at in life.

One particular song was "Ancient Words," you've probably heard it but if not you should look it up. Michael W. Smith does it beautifully. Right now I'm working on reading the Bible straight through. Many times I've started and struggled with Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. But this time I've really enjoyed reading them. I see the spirit moving in the ways of the day and can sense Him speaking to me on how to live those things out now. Yeah, its difficult because we're not called to offer lambs and doves as sacrifices, to build a tabernacle, or only pick up certain amounts of Manna. But I've been through the desert, I've had Mt. Sinai experiences, and I've turned my back on God's faithfulness. So I can see and learn from my story in the Story.
Specifically... God's unfathomable, everlasting, and unconditional love and faithfulness. Let me tell ya, I don't deserve either of those, at all (which you probably already know, haha). It moves my emotions to read about how God continued to love & provide for the Israelites in the desert even when they turned their backs on Him... although He did punish them, allow their enemies to defeat them, and didn't allow that generation to enter the promised land... He was still faithful. He could've killed them on the spot but He didn't. Whoa that's the kind of love that gets me. That's the kind of love I wish I always showed to others. That's the kind of love that turns my life upside-down (changing me) and makes me strive to grow deeper and love harder.

Words of LIfe, words of Hope
Give us strength, help us cope
In this world, where e'er we roam
Ancient word will guide us Home

Ancient words ever true
Changing me, and changing you.
We have come, with open hearts
Oh let the ancient words impart

Holy words of our Faith
Handed down to this age
Came to us through sacrifice
Oh heed the faithful words of Christ.

Holy words long preserved
For our walk in this world.
They resound with God's own heart
Oh let the ancient words impart.

No comments:

Post a Comment