Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Grandma

This is my maternal grandma. Her name is Leona Jane but she goes by Jane. I'm her namesake and quite possibly her favorite grandchild but she'd never admit it of course ;) No, probably not because she's got some other awesome grandkids, anyways.

Grandma is pretty sick right now, honestly she's probably really sick. She had a case of the flu and when she started to feel better with that then she started experiencing really bad arthritis pain. She never, never, never complains about anything - like never. So when she said the pain was really bothering her we knew it was serious. She also doesn't take much medicine (because most upset her stomach... she's got quite the miraculous medical history... maybe for another post about grandma) but she asked for some yesterday - another sign that it was serious. Around 10pm i was in the shower last night and told I had to go to her house to call an ambulance with Jewel. Her meds didn't work and she was miserable.

Fast forward to today - around 4am she was admitted and the doctors think she has a kidney infection.
Last May 2009 (when I was in the Philippines) she got her first kidney infection and was in the hospital for almost a week. Her recovery was very slow, her house had to be "handicapped," and she needed help (and still does) with most-to-all of her daily activities. We rejoiced when she got back up to 90 lbs (41 kilos) but now she's probably around 85 lbs, so she's weaker than last time. My mom moved to her house to take care of her for a month and then we took shifts sitting with her during the day.
She's still there now. Mom works 3-11 today so she'll pop in and out to check on her. I dislike hospitals (unless its to see a newborn baby!) but i'm sure i'll make my way over to visit her. She's always more cheerful when she has company, or as least does a good job of hiding her pain.

Feeding me :) Fall 1988

With Jewel, mom and I - Fall/Winter 1988


Grandma and the rest of the Ache Family - Early 90s


High School Graduation 2007
We were both Salutatorians


Feeding Leah - August 2008


Christmas 2008


Sisters - Family Reunion 2009


Leah wanting Grandma's attention - September 2009


Our 21st birthday - 2009


Napping - Christmas 2009


Jewel, Grandma and I - Easter 2010


Meeting Mallory for the first time - June 2010

Everyone that knows her loves her. She is so precious and sweet and amazing. She's the biggest prayer warrior that I know. If she tells you she's praying for you then she means it - multiple times a day I'm sure. Most days she spends her time writing encouraging letters to old friends, family, and missionaries. She's a big giver too, so generous. She has every single fruit of the Spirit - they are so evident in her life. She's been my only grandparent for a very long time (her husband died while I was in kindergarten and my dad's parents died when i was in Junior High.) Please pray for her - for strength, healing, and comfort.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very sweet post Jessie. Grandmom is one of the sweetest and Godly women I know. You are right, everyone that knows her, loves her.

    ReplyDelete