Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Prayer

I'm a worrier, that's right. I like to have things planned out, I like to know what's going on, and I like to know how things are going to end... I want answers. So when I don't have what I like then I get worried. Worry steals my focus and attention - distracting me from what's important. Worry doesn't accomplish anything - prayer does! However that's easier said than done (like most things in life)... because when i'm worried I frequently find myself praying for the wrong things. I pray for my desires instead of God's will, I pray for immediate answers instead of patiently waiting, and I skip praise and go straight to requests. The crazy thing is I am a much better prayer warrior for others than I am for myself. Well now I'm worried to the point that my stomach hurts... I can't eat, can't sleep, can't focus. If there's anything I've learned from Nathan & Jade it's to pursue the Planner not the plan. So that's what i'm focusing on doing.
Here are some of my favorite quotes on prayer:

"Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden." - Corrie Ten Boom

"It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Prayer is the key of the morning and the bolt of the evening." - Mahatma Gandhi

"There is a vast difference between saying prayers and praying" - unknown

"A lot of kneeling will keep you in good standing." - unknown

"Pray, and let God worry." - William Law

"To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Pray does not change God, but it changes him who prays." - Soren Kierkegaard

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
- Psalm 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment