Friday, May 28, 2010

The start of my internship

I started my internship activities and ministry Thursday afternoon. Joel and I left to go pick up a classmate of his who is currently studying social work. We went to the school they graduated to meet with a social work prof to get connections. We went to a squatter's village (Agham) - it was very desperate living conditions. There's a program called servants that helps with relief. The houses are small (about 15 sq foot) with 5-6 ppl living in them. There's no running water. The streets were packed with people and animals. Many streets (btw houses) were only about a foot and a half wide. Joel was nervous but did a very good job keeping me safe. Lots of people thought we were in a relationship - and he let them think that so they wouldn't approach me. It was a very humbling experience. The govt is doing some forced relocation and demolishing of homes.

Squatters move into an area illegally and build their homes. The govt doesn't do anything about it till they want the landback. Now they want it to build a mall - a mall. It is horrible. There are hundreds of people living there that have been there their whole life. A few days ago a fire was set on purpose to scare/intimidate the people - lots of people lost their homes.

This isn't the squatter's village we went to but this is what one looks like.

We met a man named Simon who works with "Servants" (see below). He is a white guy, about 30, from Switzerland. He left everything to minister to the people. He's been there 5 yrs and is fluent in tagalog - he's developed lots of relationships. We also met with a pastor there who moved his family into the area (they previously owned a home in a nicer area). Joel and I were speechless when we got back in the car. I can't imagine living there, much less moving there on purpose to minister. Did i say there's no running water or ventiliation? Many ppl sleep on the floors or multiple ppl in one small bed. Sanitation was horrible and drugs, gangs, and alcoholism were rampant.

Servants is an international network of Christian communitities living and working with in the slums of Asia and the West, participating with the poor to bring home and justice through Jesus Christ. Maybe i'll do a whole post on this program (and onesimo) later.
Here is their website: http://www.servantsasia.org/


Monday we are going back to do take them clothes we've collected. They already took a survey in the village to see who needs the close the most. It should be an interesting experience. All the conversations were strictly tagalog - I am really struggling with the language barrier (obviously). I know my experience would be better if i understood the language bc there's just not enough time for Joel to translate everything to me. It gets frustrating sometimes - but quite a few of my friends here are willing to work on their English, speak it around me more often, or at least translate every so often.

It has been a very good experience so far. I am safe, healthy, and well fed. I couldn't ask for more. I got to talk to mom on the phone a couple days ago and Jewel on facebook. Megan leaves tomorrow morning. Keep praying for me. I killed my first cockroach (which i realized fly) and so i'm getting braver with those.

No comments:

Post a Comment