Saturday, May 22, 2010

After the team...

Hi. Its Sunday morning here. My team left. Joel did a good job of keeping me occupied and distracted so i wouldnt be depressed when they left. We got starbucks and DQ, went to the mall for lunch and grocery shopping (he is spoiling me now with american food), and then we watched a movie. We also went to the hospital where his wife works - St. Luke's, supposed to be one of the best in all of asia. It is internationally accredited so that is where all the ambassadors go. It is so nice - most of the hallways were marble floors and walls, with abstract paintings, the waiting room had fashionable leather furniture and free wireless. Joel says they cant afford that hospital - its just for the rich.

Yesterday we went to a waterpark - just Megan Snyder, I, and Joel's family. It was a lot of fun. Megan and I kept getting stopped by strangers asking to take our pic (bc we're white),. I'm not excited about strangers having pics of me in my bathing suit - but whatever. I am getting really tan here too!

THe room where i am staying is comfy but very small. I can touch both walls with flat hands at the same time. It is probably 15 foot long. There are 2 foam matresses on the floor - which is okay but i am concerned it will hurt my knees eventually. I am sacrificing a head pillow to put under my knees. I keep using the cream from grandma on my knees and it helps. they just hurt when i wear flip flops (like yesterday at waterpark). The room has a hanging closet and 3 small plastic shelves. Its just wide enough to put my suitecase on the floor next to my matress then we have to walk on the matress. It has a light and air con. It has a plug to charge my phone and stuff, which is nice.

When we were watching the movie at Joel's 2 cockroaches scurried into the house. It freaked me out (they were huge). I can do spiders and other bugs, even mice, but i can't do cockroaches. I just picked my feet up off the floor and Joel's 8 yr old daughter swept them back outside (yes, still alive). When Megan & I went to go to bed Joel said just call me if you need anything, for bugs or whatever. WHen we got in our room i said "i'm closing my bags so no cockroaches get in". When i went to close it one scampered out at me. Well megan screamed i grabbed my flipflops and phone and frantically called Joel. He heard Megan scream so he was already on his way. He sprayed it (bought bug spray just for us) and then picked it up with his barehands and threw it outside. He then bug proofed our room by closing all the cracks. Megan wanted the lights on (bc cockroaches are scared of light) so they were on till about 5am and i couldn't stand it anymore.

Overall we're having a great time here. After church we are going to do a sunday school in a squatters village (bagong sibol) - the same kids we did a VBS with before (so i'm excited to see them again). Then this afternoon is a youth service at Bagong Nayon where megan will preach and i will preach next next week. Then tonight we are going to visit the clinic megan will work at. Tomorrow Joel, Jed, and I are going 4 hours away to the seminary joel went to. They are dedicating the basketball court (baskebtall is the biggest sport here). I'm not thrilled about bball but it will be fun to see where he went.
Well thats all. Hope everyone is staying healthy and well there. I love and miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment