Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Updates...



How beautiful is this place!?!?!
And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.



I praise the Lord because I am healthy and well. I am not sick and have not felt sick for a very long time. But, my teammate here - Megan Snyder - is very sick. She told me when we went to bed last night that she thinks she has kidney stones. Well, she woke me up at 2 this morning in a lot of pain. I woke Joel up who awoke his wife (Lenny - a nurse). Long story short they took her to the hospital and she has at least 3 kidney stones. They gave her drugs and she felt better when the stone stopped moving. She is in bed now with a fever and headache, but no pain from the stones. Please pray for her - for a miracle to quickly pass the stones, for physical and emotional comfort. She's supposed to be doing her transcultural internship but she's not going to get enough hours in now before she leaves on Sunday; so, she feels like her time here is now a waste b/c she's not going to the clinic at all anymore.

I still have not started my internship. Monday I went with Joel to Rosales (the bible college he graduated from) for the dedication of their basketball court. They played basektball from 7:30-5:30 while i just watched. I did get to spend some time with Aldean, Marc, and Robin from Bagong Nayon. I also met lots of other Bible College Students and alumni-pastors. I spent time with the missionaries (one Korean couple has 2 daughters who are within days of the same ages as my neices- it made me miss them so much!). But, i'm ready for my internship. Tuesday Joel was exhausted from the 4 hour drive (one way). We left at 2:30a and didn't get back till 10:30p. So he slept on day while i just hung out by myself. With Megan's illness we were pretty bound up today. We went to visit Joel's office but did nothing more.


Aldean and Robin playing basktball Rosales.


strategizing

Starting the game...

Joel getting fancy and showing off

Mark Papey

The NCD team :)

Joel's got jumps
Flying like Michael Jordan

The emcees ~Joel and Fitz ~ hilarious together


Aldean won the free-throw contest with 7 of 10

The winners congratulating the non-winners

Robin got dehydrated and passed out...
His most embarrassing moment... so don't laugh ;)

Madame Bekah and the Korean Missionaries' youngest

Lunch break in the cafeteria

Aldean

The Announcers
POWL! (Foul, haha!)


I am really struggling with so much downtime. Yes, it is nice and i am thankful for it but this is not the reason i am here. I want to get involved and gain experience and exposure. I keep praying to God to teach me something - to show me my purpose. I know these were not the initial plans and I am patient and understanding with that. But my time in the Philippines is very precious to me and i want to be used by God in as many ways as possible. Joel says that tomorrow we will immerse ourselves in ministry. yay :)

Tonight is the church's pray night. Every Wednesday they meet - from 8:30p to midnight. Joel knows we are all too exhausted for that tonight so he said they'll try to end it by 10 - we'll see, haha. I am excited for that because i am really developing a bond with some of his church members. They are here at the time (i stay at the church) - for hang out time and meal time. So, it is good to have fellowship with them. A few of the youth have taught me some Filipino phrases; like - ay yo ko say yo ang pagit mo - which means "I hate you, you are ugly." Joel has me say it to all the boys i meet, it is actually quite hilarious and they do all laugh (i promise).

Anyways, keep me in your prayers. In all this downtime i really miss my family, friends, home, and church a lot. It will be harder again once Megan is gone. Pray that i stay healthy - I really really really don't want to be sick. I am getting along with the food a little better now (except for the blood paste and chicken innards we had for supper Sunday night!) Also, i got clean laundry today so i'll feel super great tomorrow!!!
Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Jessie, I'm so thankful Megan has you and Pastor Joel; it makes it a little bit easier on us being half a world away. Please express my gratitude to them for their hospitality and care for Megan under these trying circumstances. I'm hovering over my facebook page hoping to be able to talk with her. Take care of yourself. By all means, stay healthy and I hope you'll be a blessings through your internship. Sincerely, Melissa Snyder

    ReplyDelete