Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Debriefing

The last night my team was here we met for a couple of hours to do a final debrief before they left for the states. Mission trips are amazing experiences but they are also very vulnerable experiences. My team learned and experienced a lot so i wanted to make sure that we were all prepared to go home - emotionally and spiritually stable.
The first thing we did was list our 10 most memorable moments: (and lessons to learn)
1. Comforting Fransis (VBS in Cebu) when he cried. God can use me for comfort in small ways, even without having to use words. There are opportunities.
2. Joshua crying (VBS at Greenpark) when he had to leave after VBS graduation. Someitmes i willnever know the impact i make until its too late. (Joshua & I were really buddies that week).
3. Passing out shirts at the dump. I can give whatever i can offer to be a blessing to others. Myself, I am blessed beyond measure.
4. Giving the team encouraging notes (from myself and home)/ God can use me to bless others. I should start by getting to know them personally.
5. Swimming and talking with Jerome - our van driver and spending time with youth from Bagong Nayon and Greenpark (at the malls, APNTS, in Jeepneys, ect). Take advantage of every opportunity i get to build relationships with the people. I came to be a blessing but many times others bless me more.
6. Walking around the dump - I am materially blessed beyond what I can imagine. We should never be ashamed of what God has blessed us with. Joy can be found in every situation.
7. Watching the sunset with the youth. God blessed me with wonderful people and he created a very beautiful and diverse creation. I am so thankful to know those people.
8. My heart-to-hearts with Joel - especially the one in Palawan at Richard's. It is okay (and even a blessing) to ask for people. Accountability is amazing and prayer is vital.
9. Playing with the kids at Visayan Wesleyan Bible College while others played basketball. The simplest things cna be a blessing to others - bubbles, piggyback rides, taking pictures, and passing out ice cubes. Learn to soak in and enjoy those opportunities at home.
10. Singing and dancing as a team (in the vans and the jeepneys - especially Alex N. Bing's). Make memories, losen up, and have a good time. There is no reason to let little things bother me.

4 Themes from my 10 memories
1. God wants to use me to be an encouragement to others.
2. Take advantage of opportunities that I am given - to minister, make friends, and have fun
3. God has blessed me so much.
4. My outlook and experiences are so much better when I don't let little things bother me.

No comments:

Post a Comment