Monday, August 2, 2010

Strep Throat & Shark Week

Friday of camp I started to not feel so well. My throat was sore and I didn't have much energy. I went to bed around 9:45 and woke up on Saturday with a swollen face and my throat hurt more. My face was so swollen I was too embarrassed to leave the room - so I stayed in bed till Jewel woke me for lunch. After lunch I looked at my throat and saw big puffy red tonsils with white patches on them and the back of my throat. (I thought about putting a pic on here but that'd be too gross.) I went back to bed for a few hours then woke up and walked around camp till I found Rob Dawson (my mom's boss) who could look at me and write me a prescription. He diagnosed me with strep throat and sent me home. I was bummed to leave camp but felt bad enough that it was okay. I was also contagious and didn't want to make anyone else sick. I'm sure I got it from a kid in the nursery - so I named my white patches after the kids in the nursery with runny noses... blaming them, haha (like Megan named her kidney stones after the guys in the Philippines that made us try strange foods).

I've pretty much been in bed or relaxing ever since. My throat was not getting any better - actually it was getting progressively worse. Today (Monday) my mom sent me to the ER with my dad because I should have felt fine after 3 days of antibiotics, but it was my worst day. We actually got in pretty quickly (still waited awhile in the exam room) but the doc said I was having a bad swelling reaction and needed stronger meds because my throat may swell in - my tonsils were already almost touching. So he gave me meds to reverse the swelling and a prescription for lortab (man i'm woosy). I got home around 10:30 and slept till 3:30, now I'm trying to keep myself awake or i'll never sleep tonight. I was supposed to take the youth group to Cedar Point tomorrow with Pastor Tony, but lortab and rollercoasters (plus 90 degree weather) isn't a good combo so Jewel is taking my place :(

I can only read or work on my urban ministries internship report (due in just a few days, yikes) for so long so I've been watching Shark Week on the Discovery Channel. Yay, I love shark week. Here's some interesting tidbits of info for ya:

    A quarter of a shark's weight is in its liver
    The only reason they have eyelids is to protect their eyes during feeding -thats also the only time they close their eyes
    A shark's eye is the size of a small human fist
    Sharks are "offended" by the smell of other dead sharks - so if you smell like a dead shark they won't attack you ;)
    Sharks have more testosterone than men - than any other creature on earth

I hope to be feeling well enough to visit Grandma again this week. I can't go while I'm still contagious so I haven't seen her since last Wednesday. She is getting much better which is a huge PRAISE and MIRACLE. The doctors didn't think she'd walk away from this.... well she may not walk away but will be pushed in a wheel chair, haha. Anyways, the doctors are talking about starting rehab & physical therapy soon so we're hoping she can be moved back down to Marion so she's closer to us :) Please pray that she gets accepted into Marion General Hospital's rehab program otherwise she'll have to be in a nursing home - because she needs more care than we can provide at home. What an awesome God we serve!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment