Sunday, August 8, 2010

Song of Songs

How can you help but not fall in love all over again when you read this book? In the past few days I have read it multiple times in multiple versions. It is unabashedly erotic but it's not a one night stand, it's a permanent relationship. The book follows this love through all the season. The physical descriptions of one another are fascinating - full of pure, beautiful love. While Solomon wrote it for one of his wives, this song is also an allegory for God and His people - us as individuals. I resonate with the sentiments of the beloved in chapter 5. My lover is mine and I am his. Never wanting to part... I am captivated by the dialogue between the lover and his beloved. I am in love with my Maker and what and who He has for me. I love love.

Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest
is my love among the young men.
I delight to sit in his shade,
and his fruit is sweet to my taste.
He has taken me to the banquet hall,
and his banner over me is love.
Strengthen me with raisins,
refresh me with apples,
for I am faint with love.

Don't excite love, don't stir it up
until the time is ripe - and you're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment