Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Apartment

During my visit to Robert's Wesleyan College (Rochester, New York) over SPRING BREAK I spent the day Tuesday with Jim Sheets, the graduate social work admissions director. This was my third time meeting with him. He's the reason I was interested in the school to start with. You can see him standing on the front porch below. Anyways, he has a house he rents out to MSW students from out of state. Everyone currently in the house graduates in May. We went to visit the place and I decided I liked loved it enough to live there. I'm the first one to put "dibbs" in so I got to pick my room.

The house is 3 minutes away from the school. The school is in Rochester but the house address is Churchville. It's in a quaint, little homey-town. There aren't many chains stores, so everything is the personal "Mom & Pop" kinda stuff. I get the feeling that everyone knows their neighbors. In Rochester, 55% of those 25 years+ have at least a Bachelors degree, so I'm assuming it's at least high middle-class living. Pretty much all the houses are big (2 stories) and old. This My house was built in the 1800's. It has it's own drive and enough parking in the back for everyone. There's a nice front porch and a small back patio. All the floors are wooden except the kitchen, family room, and maybe the laundry room. I don't really know what else to say about it. It's very reasonably priced and fully furnished, which means I only have to take my personal belongings (as if I was moving in to a dorm). High speed internet and cable are included... I've never had cable at college so that's super exciting!

There will be 5 of us living here. Two girls downstairs share a bedroom suite with its own bathroom. Three of us will have our own rooms upstairs with one bathroom, though after 5 of us sharing one bathroom last year that will be more than manageable. I'm the first one in but when others put their names in Jim will send us each other's contact info so we can become best buds before we move in :) I didn't take pictures of the other bedrooms, you'll just have to believe me that mine's the best!

This is just a quick little tour of the place.

Outside


Kitchen - fully furnished with 2 refrigerators. Little dinette under the window


Dining room -  through the back you can see the living room.


Living room in the far back - 2 full couches and 2 chairs - windows to our backyard

Two pictures of my room - first at the top of the stairs.
The personal items you see are whoever lives there now, but the furniture stays.
I really liked the horizontal dresser (left of bottom pic) and tall wooden bookcase.
It has a twin-sized bed and three windows. 
It definitely has the smallest closet of all the rooms, but that's okay because I don't need much.



Bathroom - just outside my room


Hallway - looking out from the bathroom. These are 2 more bedrooms.

I'm really excited, much more excited than I thought I would be. It feels much better seeing where I'll live and go to school for 10 months, and I met so many wonderful people there (the school). Though I'm sure nerves will kick in later. For the past four years I've only been living 10 minutes away from home... 10 minutes to 9 hours is a big jump, but I think I'm ready. Living with four other strangers will be different because Jewel's always been around up-until now. I'm sure we'll become friends fast, we've at least got a passion for helping people in common. Once I'm actually moved in (middle of July) I'll repost personalized pictures :)

4 comments:

  1. me too!! It looks perfect! Can't wait to see the personalized pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is REALLY cute - - - and MAYBE bigger than our duplex!!! Does it have a basement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Nope, no basement. At least not one I've discovered ;)

    ReplyDelete