Monday, March 14, 2011

Roberts Wesleyan College

I spent Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday of my spring break visiting Roberts Wesleyan College (RWC or Roberts), which really means to say Monday/Wednesday were travel days and Tuesday was the only visit day. Nonetheless, I learned what I wanted to learn, saw what I wanted to see, met who I wanted to meet, and did what I wanted to do. Here's just a tidbit about this new journey I'll be taking soon. Roberts Wesleyan College is located in Rochester, New York. It's more town than city and you can read in my previous post about my apartment there.

I am graduating with my Bachelors in Social Work from IWU on April 30th. I'm going to RWC for my Masters of Social Work. I was accepted into the Advanced Standing program (because I'm awesome), which means I'll graduate with my Masters in only 10 months instead of the traditional 2 year program. I take an online class this June, summer classes (2) in July/August, then the semester starts. It will be a total of 38 credits/units. While I'm there I'll be doing a 500 hour practicum - at a "yet-to-be-determined" agency. My specialization will be Child & Family. The Field Work (practicum) Liaison will make 3 referrals to agencies with my resume. I then call them to arrange phone interviews, talk about job descriptions, and then I ultimately get to chose at which agency I want to work (for free). The ones she talked to me about are school social work, center for Burmese refugees, and a place for homeless women and their families. When I get my placement I'll let you know ;)

Anyways, I was super excited with my visit. I loved the campus and everyone I met. They were all so sincere and nice. Everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome. I didn't feel as if I was intruding on anyone - they all seemed to truly enjoy what they do and were just as excited for my visit as I was. I took a tour of the campus, met with the Field Work Liaison, Admissions Director (who is also my landlord), Financial Aid (as if there's such a thing), and the Prof for my online class. I also made arrangements for registration. The only disappointment was our hotel didn't have a pool or hot-tub, haha :)

Here are some pics from my tour:
Carpenter Hall - Social Work :)

Carpenter Hall from another angle

Heading towards the library

B. Thomas Golisano Library
This is the newest building on campus - built in 2007
The library was my favorite building on campus.
There is a study area just for grad students and a computer lab open 24/7

(Library) Study area in the library outside the coffee shop

A pretty open layout with lots of study areas.
There are also rooms for group meetings.

Soccer fields and track :)

Rinker Community Center - 
Financial Aid, Presidential people, Human Resources, Registration, etc

Cox Hall - music

Northeastern Seminary

Northeastern Seminary from another angle

Anderson Hall - one of six dorms
Quite the contrast to IWU housing :/ haha

For when I get lost... haha

Just a couple random snapshots of the yucky snow

I didn't get pictures of the cafeteria (Garlock Dining Commons), but when I asked my tour guide about the food she said "It could be worse."I also didn't get one of Voller Athletic Center, which was really neat. The bookstore is there along with a cafe. They had a 25-yard swimming pool, two weight rooms (free weights and cardio equipment), racquetball, and a huge gym/track. Oh, and they have 2 saunas :) How awesome is that!

I like it, I'm excited to go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment