Thursday, March 31, 2011

"A Big Day" ~ Hiking Trip with Brookhaven Youth



Thursday through Saturday (March 24-26) I went on a hiking/camping trip with my youth group. We drove 475 miles to southern Indiana to O'Bannon Woods State Park. There were 30 of us and we had one awesome time. Thursday night we ate elk over the fire (yum) for dinner followed by smores. Instead of the traditional graham & chocolate I used Chips Ahoy cookies (double yum!).  Then the youth played Sardines and Capture the Flag while us old folk (adults) sat by the fire to stay warm :) We had deep, theological discussions about Christianity (or the lack thereof) around the world, the end times, and the Israelites in the desert. When we went to sleep the junior highers were still talking up a storm in their tent, so someone kindly threatened them with "If you don't shut up I'm going to put rocks in your backpacks for the hike tomorrow!" Haha, that got them, then we slept semi-peacefully :) Did I mention that this weekend the temp was in the 30's? Thank you Jesus for warm layers of clothes, super thick sleeping-bags, and tent-buddies to cuddle with.




Friday we started our hike around 10 after a tasty breakfast cooked over the fire. We did a total of 12.5 miles that day. When we reached our campsite there was just enough time to find a tree to pee on and cook dinner before sundown. Saturday we did 6 miles.  I should tell you that I was apprehensive about going on this hike, mainly because it was freezing and I have the knees of an 80 year old woman. However, I had so-much-fun! Some of the hills were near death experiences. I would say down-hill is easier than up-hill, but many of my comrades would disagree. A couple of people took some pretty funny falls - I can only say that because no one was seriously injured. Pastor Tony's brother (Larry) kept saying "What don't kill ya will only make ya stronger" or "The good thing is that you'll feel better when it doesn't hurt anymore." He's rather sarcastic and not sympathetic at all, haha. But, I'm proud of myself that I was never in the back section; most of the time I was leading the middle :) We also spent some time doing "community service" and clearing the path of fallen trees and large sticks. When stopped for lunch along the way I guzzled "5 Hour Energy" for maximum boost :)

I had a great time hiking alongside the youth and spending time talking with them as we went along. I got to know some of them better, which is always a blessing. I love them so much and I'm so glad that I went. I won't get to do many more youth activities like this since I won't be around here after graduation, so I really try to make the most of every opportunity. They all mean so much to me and I'm so proud of the women and men of Christ they are becoming. Also, did I mention the woods were gorgeous this time of year!

Lessons learned:
Easier is never better
Short cuts are not worth it in the end.
Stopping to take a break and rest is best when you do it in the company of friends.
Take time to enjoy your surroundings (sights, sounds, smells) to make the time truly worth it.
Let others' joy be contagious; let your joy be contagious to others.
In the end, you will remember the good times more than the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment