Sunday, September 12, 2010

Home From the Philippines

I've had this letter written forever but haven't printed it out to send it like normal. That may happen eventually, but online it will get to more people :)

Family and Friends,
Wow, I just don’t know where to start. My visit and ministry in the Philippines leaves me feeling so blessed, called, convicted, and encouraged. I had more than the time of my life. I want to take this opportunity to again thank you, my faithful supporters, for your support, prayers, and encouragement for me while I go on this venture we call life. This trip to the Philippines was not an isolated event; it is just one step in the journey God has called me on. He worked in me and through me in miraculous ways, continuing to prepare me for what He has in store for me in the future. I hope that by my sharing with you what God did and is doing, you will in the same way be encouraged to take part in your own ministry and continue to support those who feel called to missions. I know that I am who I am today because of these opportunities that I have had.
I returned to the Philippines for the second time and stayed May 3 – June 25. It was a tremendous blessing to be able to return and see familiar people and places, especially those who remembered me from the previous summer. I led a team of 8 IWU students for 3 weeks. During that time we did 8 VBS’s on 3 different islands – in a dump, at a Bible College, local churches, isolated mountain church, in remote villages with different tribes, and a Compassion site. With anywhere from 30 to 80 kids we told Bible stories, played games, colored pictures, sang songs, fed them bread and juice, laughed and had a great time. At the dump (right), we also painted the floor and pews in the church and passed out clothes to families. Most importantly, we bonded with the children and their families, sharing the love of God, and were impacted by their love. Aside from VBS we spent lots of time with the youth from the local churches. Many times we partnered together in ministry to do VBS. They taught us Tagalog, their language. We played lots of games, sang songs, shared our stories and testimonies, and bonded in fellowship. This was an invaluable part of our ministry.
The experience of leading a team was more difficult than I ever anticipated it to be. I had to force myself to take leadership in situations when it was not easy. However, I was extremely blessed with an amazing team. We united together as one to accomplish our purpose. We never had disagreements or quarreling. God really blessed and provided for us. Our team faced some health issues, but God provided healing. One team member broke out with a severe allergic reaction, after a few days without cessation he had to get a couple shots and take some steroids, it helped for a while but he continued to break out. We prayed over him and God healed him! Some of them have become my best friends. I am hoping that next year when I return (yay!) some of them will be able to come with me again. My team taught me the value of friendship and accountability, the importance of taking advantage of opportunities we are given, and the rewards of sharing our triumphs and struggles. Together we learned our strengths & weaknesses.
After my team left my internship in Urban Ministries began. My teammate, Megan, stayed for an additional week to do her Intercultural Nursing internship. This was such a blessing. We moved into my small room off the church where I stayed for my internship. Megan helped me adjust to what it would be like once I was on my own. That week I spent a lot of time bonding with my host, the pastor, Joel Pascua, along with his family. I also grew very close to Pastora MJ (left), who is doing her placement at the church before graduating from Bible College. She was a gift straight from God – He used her to teach, encourage, and stretch me. We spent hours together talking about life and what God has in store for us, dreaming about the future, and deciding what we need to do to be prepared for His service. I consider these irreplaceable moments because they gave me a chance to refocus on the purpose my ministry and internship, especially when I was stressed or distracted.
The majority of activities during my urban ministries internship revolved around youth activities. I was the speaker for two different youth services. I also shared my testimony in churches twice. On a daily basis I spent my time in casual, relational fellowship with the youth. We spent hours playing games and getting to know one another. They taught me about their culture while I taught them about mine. On weekends we went swimming, to the malls to hang out, and the market to go shopping. I also went with them on their weekly ministries to the campus outreaches (youth group for college students), Sunday school extensions (VBS), Bible studies, and prayer meetings. I grew to love these youth; we become close friends and I miss them so much! I am so thankful for facebook and skype so we can stay in touch! They were a real encouragement. Before this trip I did not place high value on relational ministry, I would rather chose to be doing something physical. However, God really used these youth to open my eyes to the importance of relational ministry. Now I can’t imagine doing ministry without involving and making relationships!
I also worked with a couple of organizations, where I was exposed to immense poverty in urban settings. We went with “Servants” into a squatter’s village where people move illegally into cramped, horrible living conditions. “Servants” is an international network of Christian communities living and working within the slums of Asia and the West, participating with the poor to bring hope and justice through Jesus Christ. At first it was pretty scary walking around, but so many people we met were friendly. A couple days later, Joel and I decided to collect clothes to provide for families whose homes the government had just burned down to intimidate the people and scare them off the land. Afterwards we spent a few days at Onesimo, a shelter for street kids who come from abusive homes, are abandoned, neglected, orphans, children of addicts, or even addicts themselves. They provide shelter, clothes, food, tutoring, and the opportunity to have an actual childhood. We took a family of 3 boys to Onesimo to live because their father is an alcoholic and cannot provide for them. I was extremely humbled – it was heartbreaking and encouraging at the same time. The youth and I painted murals in their classrooms.
Both of these are the types of programs I can see myself involved in later in life. My passion was rekindled as God reminded me of the calling He has on my life. I am so blessed to have grown up in such a loving, Christian environment. But, there are many children who do not have this privilege. I’m convinced those are the settings God is preparing for me to minister. At the same time I am comfortable and uncomfortable there. I want to help eradicate the social injustices, show love to children who would not see it otherwise, and bring the Message of Hope to seemingly hopeless environments. God has a plan for them, just like He does for you and me. I want to be part of it.
So, until I have the privilege and blessing of returning to the Philippines again next year, I will recount my memories and the lessons God taught me. I know that by doing this I will continue to grow into the woman God created me to be. Now I am working my way through reading the Bible in one year – it is as if I am reading some stories for the first time, very exciting! Faithfully I remain committed to His call for me and open myself up to whatever He asks of me or wherever He takes me. I ask that you would continue to keep me in your prayers – that God would continue to reveal His plan for my life and give me wisdom and guidance, and that I would continue to fall deeper in love with Him and stay focused on our relationship. I am a new person – I know the life changes and lessons from my time in the Philippines will last and continue to deepen.
In Christ Alone,
Jessie Reed

1 comment: