Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Internship

This semester has totally been way different than what I expected! After 7 semesters of working my butt off with heavy course loads and hours of homework... I am so excited to be where I am now.
This semester I am doing a full time internship at Debra Corn Agency, a foster care and adoption agency. I work 34 hours a week, Tuesday - Friday. (I have a 3 hour seminar on Mondays with the other Social Work seniors in my class. We talk about our internships, debrief experiences, and share stories to learn together.) I'm working as an intern case manager. I have been there since January 10 and at this point I've just been shadowing other case workers while they do home visits, supervised visits, and private time; I go to court, probation check-ins, and doctors appointments; and I also sit in on staff meetings, trainings, and consultations. Last Friday I was given my caseload and slowly I will begin to take over responsibility for those cases. I am terribly nervous and extremely excited.

Already I have learned so much. Some of the exposures I have had have shocked me. It's the kind of things you read about in social work journals but rarely experience in life. The past 4 years of studying social work have certainly confirmed how sheltered I was as a child. Sometimes I ask myself how I can help people through problems with which I cannot relate, but it's the love and empathy of Christ that make it achievable. With patience and dedication, as I relate to people, I will understand their situations more and find ways to help them. And now, the greatest confirmation I am receiving is that this is God's will for my life. I am meant to be a social worker. I have gifts and talents that can (and will) be used to reach out to these at-risk kids in their most vulnerable state. I may not be able to solve all of life's problems, but if I can even make one day brighter for a child, I would consider that an important use of my time and efforts. Though my hope is that my effort will last longer than the day and set them on a life course trajectory of joy, hope, and success - becoming what they are in their greatest potential by moving past the degrading life experiences they face.

After only two weeks I am already emotionally overwhelmed. I've realized the hardest task in social work is to maintain my composer with clients and to separate myself from their problems and not carry their burdens home with me as emotional baggage. I continue to think about the kids, their stories, and our interactions, hours after I am home. Their stories break my heart. I cannot imagine being a social worker and not a Christian because I know I would ask myself "How could a loving God allow this to happen?". These kids do not deserve the crap they face and yet they suffer way more than anyone, especially a child, ever should. But, Christ is giving me the hope to look past present sufferings, the strength to focus on my tasks, and the love to reach out to these kids when they seem unlovable.

Needless to repeat again for fear of sounding insincere, but - I love my job! The kids have won a special place in my heart. My co-workers there area also amazing! I have the best time with them! God is so awesome for working out this placement just for me! I couldn't have dreamed of a blessing this big. The best part is that I know He is using this to prepare me for even greater things!

No comments:

Post a Comment