Tuesday, November 9, 2010

International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church

In Chapel on Monday Jim "V" Vermilya talked about the international day of prayer for the persecuted Church, which is on Sunday, November 14. This is an issue that is near to my heart but very distant from my present reality. I've seen persecution first hand while on mission trips. The very first time was also my first time out of country. I was in Ensenada, Mexico working with a Pastor named Mario. He lived in a predominantly Jehovah Witness community. His neighbors did not like the presence (or power!) of the church so they dug a small trench and run their sewage directly in front of the church. Every time someone goes to church they have to pass over this. It stinks, real bad. However, this is still not the life-or-death persecution many other Christian believers face. Below is a map of restricted nations, areas where Christians are intensely persecuted for their faith.

So I think to myself What does this mean for me? I'm separated from this... chances of someone threatening my life because of my beliefs is slim to none. In all reality I'm not even faced with ridicule or rejection because of my beliefs. You could say this means I'm not doing enough, that I'm not friends with enough "non Christians." If I'm not being persecuted, why? God said we would be. But I don't look at it that way, I think I face a different kind of persecution, a more subtle form. Maybe my persecution comes in the form of people not wanting me to pursue my dreams and visions. They doubt what I can do and they doubt God's calling to do that. They fear for me more than I fear for myself.
Philippians 1:29
Philippians 12:1-13
Matthew 5:33, 34
Romans 12: 9, 14
John 15:18-20
I've really developed in boldness and steadfastness in proclaiming the gospel. I'm not perfect and I don't know what I'd do if i was ever placed in a situation where my life was at risk... but I hope I would remain as faithful to Him as He is to me!



While thinking about all of this I've really been thinking about my role in Kingdom work. Lately I have totally been dissatisfied with what I'm doing. I know that I'm growing closer to my Lord and deeper in my relationship of Love with Him. But, what about my impact on others? Am I taking advantage of every opportunity I'm given? Am I spending my time in full service for Him? I think the heart of the issue is that I'm tired of school. Yes it is a haven of spiritual growth and opportunity, but I also think that it is limiting me. I would rather be in the "real world" than in classroom settings. I would rather be practicing social justice than learning about shades, tints & tones in Fine Arts class....
Senioritis? I think so! I need to be patient. I need to take advantage of the opportunities I have. I need to stretch myself to grow as much as I can. If I can't do it here then how can I do it out there?!?! This is part of the path of God's plan for my life, and I've decided to try to make the most of it.
I'm spending my time for Him instead of myself. An awesome opportunity that began this week is that I'm leading a Bible study for the girls in my youth group. The Lord really spoke to me during my preparations, and I'm sure I got just as much out of it as the girls. Just because I'm "leading it" doesn't mean that i know everything. I'm really excited to see where this journey goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment