Thursday, October 14, 2010

It's Not About Me

I've been reading "When God Whispers Your Name" by Max Lucado. It's an awesome book. The chapters are short and manageable - perfect to pull out for a little break between the stressors of my day. I started it at the beginning of the semester and I'm slowly working my way through it because its so good, I want to soak it all in. There are many chapters that i've read multiple times because I don't want to miss anything.

Anyways, my favorite chapter thus far is "The Choice." In essence it has changed me dramatically. My routine is different, my reactions and priorities are different, and its all because my mindset is different...
The chapter shows that in the midst of all the junk we face in life we have choices - choices of how to respond. The push is to respond in alignment with the Fruits of the Spirit, which are of the God which we are to imitate! Imitate means to use somebody or something as a model, attempting to copy an existing method, style, or approach - basically, to be or look like something else. The way we do that is by bearing what he bears - His fruit. What we produce is the basis of other's opinions of us, so if we produce what Christ produces then they should recognize that we are like Christ.

Galatians 5: 22, 23 says, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."

  • I choose to love when I'm not loved in return. I choose to love when my natural reaction is judgement. I choose to love when it takes all of my energy. I choose to love what is different and uncomfortable. I choose to love in whatever form the other needs.
  • I choose joy when it is easier to complain. I choose joy when it seems all life is against me. I chose joy when my spirit is hardened. I choose joy when resentment feels better. I choose living in Christ's joy instead of the world's happiness.
  • I choose peace when all else is in conflict. I choose peace when retaliation is more fun. I choose peace in knowing I am forgiven, and in forgiving others. I choose peace when it means in making amends I must admit fault even when it isn't min.
  • I choose patience when it doesn't accomplish anything. I choose patience when my tasks are long and the time is short. I choose patience when someone is really testing me. I choose patience when it puts my selfish priorities aside.
  • I choose kindness when I haven't been shown kindness. I choose kindness when I don't feel sympathetic. I chose kindness when others are different than me. I choose to show kindness in words and actions.
  • I choose goodness when dishonesty would be easier. I choose goodness when it means I have to sacrifice. I choose goodness even when I won't get recognition for it. I choose goodness even when nobody would catch me in my sin.
  • I choose faithfulness when I want to go back on my word. I choose faithfulness when another option is better. I choose faithfulness when I don't feel committed anymore. I choose faithfulness when that which I am being faithful to is not faithful to me.
  • I choose gentleness when harsh-words are natural. I choose gentleness when I can only get what I want by force.  I choose to only raise my voice in praise and clench my fists in praise. I choose to only be rough with myself when making demands.
  • I choose self-control when my natural instinct is to react in anger. I choose self-control when it means getting ready of something when I can't control it. I choose self-control when my desires are strong. I choose self-control when I'd rather out act.
I just finished Eccesiates (1:1-11 is my favorite!) this morning. It's the "everything is meaningless" book. If you don't read it with the right understanding you'll likely get confused. The writer is not pessimistic, he is only emphasizing how a life not centered on God and holiness is meaningless. Without Christ, nothing can satisfy (wisdom, pleasures, work, etc - it's all meaningless and has no true reward). With Christ as the reason for life, we can gratefully receive the good gifts He gives and enjoy life. 

So, how am I making sure my life is not meaningless? .... Imitating Christ by sowing His fruits in my life. I'm using this for Kingdom-work instead of Jessie-work. Cause a life all about me is meaningless.

No comments:

Post a Comment